276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Arabian Sands (Penguin Classics)

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It is a condition of booking with Explore that you have adequate valid travel insurance. It is your responsibility to arrange appropriate travel insurance and ensure you have read and understood the full terms and conditions of your travel insurance policy to ensure that you are covered for all activities you intend to undertake whilst on the tour, including all optional activities. Your Insurance Policy must fully cover you for medical expenses and emergency repatriation to your home country. Please ensure your policy includes medical emergency helicopter evacuation in the event of illness or injury and covers the entire duration of your holiday. If you are trekking at altitude please ensure that there is no upper altitude limit which may limit or exclude cover for your trip. The cost of many of our Polar Voyages will exceed the capped amount covered by standard insurance premiums and you will be required to pay an additional premium to cover the full value of your trip. Please ensure that you are covered for the full amount of your holiday cost, as insufficient cover could invalidate a claim under the policy. Medical and repatriation insurance cover is not mandatory for UK residents who are travelling on trips within the United Kingdom. I came to this book at a strange time. At a time when one journey was ending and another beginning. Strangely, I didn’t know what to make of the journey that had just ended. I doubted sincerely that it had made me a better person. Thesiger’s book made me rethink that. It made me see parts of Arabia as he saw them in the past, the way the Bedu’s lifestyle came out of the spirit of the desert. So many of my own thoughts found expression in Thesiger’s words. So many of the sentences and paragraphs rang true. One of Thesiger's biographers, Michael Asher, wrote in The Guardian that "his description of the traditional life of the Bedu, Arabian Sands (1959), [was] probably the finest book ever written about Arabia and a tribute to a world now lost forever." [6] Following worthily in the tradition of Burton, Lawrence, Philby and Thomas, [ Arabian Sands] is, very likely, the book about Arabia to end all books about Arabia.”— The Daily Telegraph I wondered why people ever cluttered up their rooms with furniture, for this bare simplicity seemed to me infinitely preferable. [...] I had everything that I could want - food, shelter, and good company after long days upon the road.

Arabian Sands: The Allure of Abu Dhabi | The Arbuturian Arabian Sands: The Allure of Abu Dhabi | The Arbuturian

Please note: These activities are booked and paid for direct with the supplier and do not form part of your Explore holiday contract. In Sulaiyil, a Yam Arab shows Thesiger an English rifle, which he had taken from a man called bin Duailan, 'The Cat', whom he had killed; bin Duailan had been one of Thesiger's companions the previous year. Thesiger and his party are released; they are unable to obtain a guide at Laila, and instead travel on their own to Abu Dhabi. He is disturbed to find he is hated as a 'Christian' alien. Without a guide, Thesiger navigates the party for eight days to the next oasis at Jabrin, 150 miles to the northeast, using St. John Philby's map. They learn that two months before, raiders from Dubai had killed 52 Manasir Arabs from Abu Dhabi. Eryx jayakari, known commonly as the Arabian sand boa or Jayakar's sand boa, is a species of snake in the family Boidae. [3] The species is endemic to the Arabian Peninsula and Iran where it spends the day buried in the sand. Surviving on a meagre diet of water and dates, Thesiger believed hardship built character and embraced the extreme conditions he was faced with. “In the desert I had found a freedom unattainable in civilisation. It was very still with the silence which we have driven from our world,” he wrote.

It took a recent trip to visit the edge of Australian desert country for me to understand that there is a deep beauty in these so called desolate lands and with that trip in my recent memories Thesiger’s descriptions of the various landscape he crossed and personally explored made his writings compelling. Add to that his deep respect for and descriptions of his travelling companions and their lifestyle along with some history this is a must read for anyone that likes travel readings. The tragedy was the choice would not be theirs. Economic forces beyond their control would eventually drive them into the towns to hang about street corners as unskilled street labour. a b Asher, Michael (27 August 2003). "Sir Wilfred Thesiger (obituary)". The Guardian . Retrieved 21 December 2014.

Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger | Goodreads Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger | Goodreads

Please note that flying drones or remote controlled flying devices without a valid licence is against the law. Further information can be found at www.paca.gov.om But my bigger complaint is with Thesiger's thorough, oft-stated dismissal of everything and everyone not Bedu. To admire the grit, generosity and loyalty of his nomadic traveling companions is one thing, but to repeatedly tell me, the reader, that they are finer human beings in every way than his European peers and my American ones, and that any lifestyle other than theirs is fundamentally flawed and worthless... is another. Because Arab sensibilities were so rankled by his repeated (illicit in their eyes) traverses of the "Empty Quarter" and surrounding areas, he eventually became so well known that he was effectively barred from ever returning to the lands that he repeatedly pledged unabashed love for throughout the book. As the book was written after this realization had sunken in, perhaps a significant amount of bitterness was inevitably interjected into his prose. It was a place where men live close together. Here, to be alone was to feel at once the weight of fear, for the nakedness of this land was more terrifying than the darkest forest at dead of night. In the pitiless light of day we were as insignificant as the beetles I watched laboring across the sand. Only in the kindly darkness could we borrow a few square feet of desert and find homeliness within the radius of the firelight, while overhead the familiar pattern of the stars screened the awful mystery of space."Glancy, Jonathan (29 June 2002). "The Profile: Wilfred Thesiger 'Wild at Heart' ". The Guardian . Retrieved 15 January 2013. Thesiger’s book is about a time, right after many people thought most of the great adventures had already been had and right before the frontiers of the desert sands were truly closed off. The book was one man’s love affair with the hardship of desert sand and the people who had called it their home -- the Bedu.

Arabian Sands - Penguin Books UK

I like to browse through my books on a Sunday morning for some strange reason and came across this book that I read when I was working in Saudi Arabia and, as I had also met the bedouin and taken tea with them, I was interested to hear about Thesiger's travels in that country. Wilfred Thesiger and his younger brother were the only European children for most of his early years in Addis Ababa. He later recalled how impressed he had been on the day in 1916, when following the overthrow of the Emperor Lij Iyasu, the army of Ras Tafari "armed with swords and spears, some of them carrying rifles, but all of them with shields", followed by bands of wild tribesmen on horses, hurried past the British Legation on their way to give battle to Negus Mikael, the father of Lij Iyasu: I've always loved travel writing, it began with Colin Thubron's "Beyond the Wall" about China, he was a fabulous writer, and he put into words what I had felt during a visit in 1988. However, Thesiger travels at a level of inconvenience and real danger that no one undergoes today. As Thesiger travels through the Empty Quarter, the far southeastern corner of Saudi Arabia, it was incomprehensible to me how little he cared about his physical well-being or safety. It's as if his desire to travel and to see these places - the first European to ever see many of them - was the prime driving force of his life. If you like travel writing or books about exploration and adventure, you will absolutely love this book. For me exploration was a personal venture. I did not go to the Arabian desert to collect plants nor to make a map; such things were incidental. At heart I knew that to write or even to talk of my travels was to tarnish the achievement. I went there to find peace in the hardship of desert travel and the company of desert people. [...] No, it is not the goal but the way there that matters, and the harder the way the more worth while the journey. a b c d Behbehani, S.J.Y.; Al Johany, A.M.H.; Sharifi, M.; Papenfuss, T.; Anderson, S.; Shafiei Bafti, S. (2012). " Eryx jayakari". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. 2012: e.T164738A1072189. doi: 10.2305/IUCN.UK.2012.RLTS.T164738A1072189.en . Retrieved 20 November 2021.Review of maitland's official biography discusses various aspects of the explorer's life and characters. Thesiger begins his Introduction by saying that if he had thought of writing a book about his journeys, he "should have kept fuller notes which now would have both helped and hindered me". [7] He did however keep some kind of diary of his travels, later polishing his notes in letters to his mother, and then (years later) writing up his books from those. His two Arabian journeys described here took place between 1946 and 1948; the book appeared in 1959. [8] Editions [ edit ]

Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger | Goodreads

Who can tell, but I am sure that I know more about the care and breeding of camels than the average suburban office worker will ever need to know. For example: Maitland, Alexander (2004). Thesiger: A Life in Pictures. London: HarperCollins. ISBN 978-0-002572248. a b "Arabian Sand Boa - Species Profile And Care Guide". buzzpetz.com. 2023-09-16 . Retrieved 2023-09-20. Oman is a land of contrasts waiting to be explored, from the soaring sand dunes to the rugged mountains all the way down to the turtle-nesting beaches. Eat with an Omani family and sleep under canvas on remote coastline. Contributions should be appropriate for a global audience. Please avoid using profanity or attempts to approximate profanity with creative spelling, in any language. Comments and media that include 'hate speech', discriminatory remarks, threats, sexually explicit remarks, violence, and the promotion of illegal activity are not permitted.Hs escapades would have definitely been noteworthy but perhaps not memorable were it not for his minuteness of observation and his spectacular and often lyrical power of description that make even ordinary and mundane happenings turn into high prose. I read the book pencil in hand for I love how he writes. The book is rich in topographical description, painstaking capturing of landscapes and people, social and anthropological observations, and even the political economy of the time. The last is quite interesting as Dubai, Sharjah, Abu Dhabi etc., were at that time minor settlements with rulers whose influence didn't extend far beyond their habitats and who were only just observing, with alarm as well as avarice, international oil companies sniffing around for the eventual bonanzas. Thesiger's book is a veritable encyclopedia of the different tribes in the region, their characters and personalities, their alliances and feuds and has many an interesting episode to narrate about his encounters with them. While the Rashid were his constant guides, companions and friends, he met many more who displayed varied levels of friendliness and hostility. The Duru, for instance, were a constant menace and the following local saying that he quotes subtly conveys why so: “You cannot trust the Duru. Too many people who travel with them die of snake-bite.” Yet I knew that for them the danger lay, not in the hardship of their lives, but in the boredom and frustration they would feel when they renounced it. The tragedy was that the choice would not be theirs; economic forces beyond their control would eventually drive them into the towns to hang about street-corners as ‘unskilled labor’..." Thesiger tells of his love for a hard life in the desert, and how he got the chance to travel into the Empty Quarter ( Rub al Khali) from Middle East Locust Control. This edition contains an introduction by Rory Stewart discussing the dangers of Thesiger's travels, his unconventional personality and his insights into the Bedouin way of life.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment